My first attempt at recalling the main events in my life in 2011 draws a blank.I find nothing of significance?Yeah, I’m that kind of person.Nothing is significant for long.Everything fades in importance.All enthusiasm is fleeting.I’ll never accomplish anything.Bah.
I still can’t recall anything.This is getting me worried.Why?!Is it because I’m listening to Cream at high volume(that’s subjective)?Okay, here it comes.
- Attended the Jaipur Literary Festival in January.Bought a great historical book.The sessions I attended weren’t particularly great but seeing so many famous people, authors and not, was a new experience.
- Had lots of problems with my girlfriend and finally broke up.Still feel a li’l bit guilty at times.Even then I much prefer being single at this stage in my life.
- Got an amp and an effects pedal for the first time in my life.That too for free, due to certain circumstances.Mind blown.Great,LOUD fun.
- Became active on this blog, as in wrote at least 11 posts.I’m satisfied with their quality, if not their quantity.Started a parallel blog – http://cameratrails.wordpress.com/
- Got 2 second prizes (that’s right, two second prizes)in an Inter-college Photography Contest, the first I’ve participated in.The result was intimated very late – Poor me had given up hope when, about 6 weeks after the contest I got a phone call informing me of my winnings.Ah, REDEMPTION.
- Finished 2 computer games – Icewind Dale and Limbo.Those who know me well know that gaming has been a dormant passion for me.I just haven’t felt free enough to devote time to it, for years.So 2011 was a success in this aspect.Have also finished a big chunk of Baldur’s Gate, and hope to complete it before the passing of the first tenday in the new year.
- Got sick four times.
- Saw some great movies – Favourite?The King’s Speech.I simply like Colin Firth a lot.Did anybody say Geoffrey Rush?
Worst? Murder 2.
Can’t resist mentioning – Before Sunrise is a marvel.So is Before Sunset.
- Got bitten by the American sitcom bug that has infected 90% of the English-medium background engineer populace in India.But i stayed away from the “20 episodes-in-a-day” routine – I catch ’em on TV and that’s the way i like it.Made an exception for Family Guy, which is definitely the greatest thing on TV right now.
- Was attacked and bitten by a dog.The attack was quite ferocious as a matter of fact, and my arm was left in bad shape.In spite of my best efforts to master myself, I now feel a certain apprehension around other people’s dogs.Let’s use a hashtag, because they’re quite cool.#scarredforlife
- Made some new friends and bonded with the existing ones.Male bonding is truly beautiful.And sometimes grown men cry on each other’s shoulders.When no girl is looking.
- Thought about life, the universe and everything.Found some answers, each gave rise to multiple new questions( This is an awfully generic and cliche-ridden passage, I know, just bear with me here, I’m in a mood.). Discovered new things about myself, some comforting, some unsettling .But maybe, just maybe, I’m a better man than I was a year back.(You can relax, the mood’s gone now.)
- Retail therapy came to my doorstep in the form of http://www.flipkart.com/. Amazingly good service.Now I can’t go more than 3 weeks without ordering something – books, music cds, even a hair dryer!
- Cultivated the habit of saying “Bloody ……!”Best cuss word for a Victorian anglophile like me.
CONFESSION – I confess to using my Facebook timeline to check for any noteworthy events I might have overlooked.Yes, I checked it month by month, and I did find a few incidents i had forgotten.Damn you, Zuckerberg, you devil, you.
Now that we’ve looked at 2011, here’s a look ahead to 2012: